Last Song Played
Country Legends
On Air
No Program
Last Song Played
Country Legends

national

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >

Trump vows to ‘destroy’ North Korea during U.N. speech

President Donald Trump repeated his threat to “destroy North Korea” in a tweet on Tuesday, hours after he made the statement in his first speech in front of the United Nations General Assembly and an international audience.

“Now North Korea's reckless pursuit of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles threatens the entire world with unthinkable loss of human life,” Trump said. “…. The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea.”

The president repeated a taunt he threw at North Korea president Kim Jong Un over the weekend, calling him “rocket man.”

“Rocket Man is on a suicide mission for him and his regime,” Trump said of Kim.

While strong statements condemning countries for aggressive action are not new, it is unusual for a sitting leader to promise to destroy a nation.

Tensions between the U.S. and North Korea have escalated since Trump came into office. A series of tests of intercontinental ballistic missiles by North Korea prompted Trump last month to promise “fire and fury” like the world had never seen if the tests continued, or if a threatened strike near Guam took place.

Soon after the U.N. speech, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders downplayed the statement in a tweet comparing what Trump said to something President Barack Obama said while in office.

Obama was not advocating a military strike against North Korea but was saying the United States was capable of destroying the country. His statement, "We could, obviously, destroy North Korea with our arsenals, but aside from the humanitarian costs of that, they are right next door to our vital ally, [South] Korea,” came after a missile test by North Korea.

Trump also condemned actions by Iran and said that the Middle East country is a “rouge nation.” 

He said the deal with Iran to curb the country’s nuclear weapons program was “an embarrassment” to the United States.

“I don’t think you’ve heard the last of it, believe me.”

“It is time for the entire world to join us in demanding that Iran’s government end its pursuit of death and destruction,” Trump said.

 

Lady Gaga discusses struggle with fibromyalgia

Lady Gaga is sharing her pain with fans in a new documentary for Netflix.

>> Read more trending news 

In a new trailer released for the upcoming documentary, “Gaga: Five Foot Two,” she gives fans a glimpse of what her life is like struggling with fibromyalgia.

“I have chased this pain for four or five years,” she said in the trailer, which shows her getting shots at a doctor’s office. The singer goes on to say that it is her fans who have helped keep her going all of these years. “But when I feel the adrenaline in my music and my fans, I can ... go.”

Gaga recently postponed part of her European tour due to the condition and opened up on Instagram about her debilitating condition.

“I have always been honest about my physical and mental health struggles. Searching for years to get to the bottom of them,” she wrote. “It is complicated and difficult to explain, and we are trying to figure it out. As I get stronger and when I feel ready, I will tell my story in more depth, and plan to take this on strongly so I can not only raise awareness, but expand research for others who suffer as I do, so I can help make a difference.”

The documentary starts streaming on Netflix on September 22.

See the trailer here.

Three arrested in violent Georgia Tech protests after police shoot student

Anger over the police shooting of a Pride Alliance leader at Georgia Tech turned violent Monday night, as protesters set a campus police car ablaze following a candlelight vigil.

>> Read more trending news

Two police officers received minor injuries, Tech spokesman Lance Wallace said. One was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital, treated and released, he said.

Three people were arrested and were identified by Tech authorities as Vincent Castillenti, Jacob Wilson and Cassandra Monden. It was not immediately clear if they were students at the university.

Wilson was charged with two felony counts of aggravated assault against a police officer, and three misdemeanor counts of criminal trespass.

Monden — who was identified as Andrew Xavier Monden by the Fulton County Sheriff’s office — was charged with a felony count of interference with government property and inciting to rioting, which is a misdemeanor.

Castillenti was charged with felonies including aggravated assault on an officer and willful obstruction of an officer by use of threats or violence.

The three are expected in court for first appearance hearings Wednesday morning.

The parents of Scout Schultz — who had appeared earlier in the day with their attorney to question the deadly shooting — released a statement Monday night calling for calm.

“We ask that those who wish to protest Scout's death do so peacefully. Answering violence with violence is not the answer. Our goal is to work diligently to make positive change at Georgia Tech in an effort to ensure a safer campus for all students,” they said.

“This is how we will truly honor Scout's life and legacy.”

Students planned to set up tables across campus from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday for “campus members to write letters and on posters to show support for Scout's family and friends (as tonights vigil was interrupted) as well as GTPD,” according to a Facebook post.

The evening began with a peaceful vigil to remember Scout Schultz, a 21-year-old engineering student from Lilburn. Schultz was gunned down by campus police late Saturday night. The GBI is investigating.

But about 50 students left the vigil and began to march toward the Tech police headquarters at Hemphill Avenue and Ferst Drive.

At 9:28 p.m., Georgia Tech tweeted that students should “shelter in place” due to “violent protests on campus.” Officers from the Atlanta Police and nearby Georgia State University were called in to to assist Georgia Tech police.

Chad Miller, a Tech alumnus taking part in the march, said he thought tear gas had been deployed. Miller told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution he was right behind the police car when it erupted into flames.

“All I heard was metal hitting metal,” Miller said. “I’m guessing it was fireworks, there were some pretty powerful ones.”

“I was marching with them until they got in front of the police station and then all hell broke loose.”

Miller said he saw one man who may have been a police officer throwing up and coughing.

Schultz was shot and killed after a confrontation with Georgia Tech campus police late Saturday night. Police have said Schultz had a knife and refused commands to stop.

But Chris Stewart, a lawyer for the family, said Schultz was carrying a small utility tool and the blade wasn’t out. 

Schultz’s parents have questioned why police didn’t use non-lethal force.

The GBI said Monday Schultz had left behind three suicide notes and called 911.

“Why did you have to shoot?” Scout’s father, Bill Schultz, asked at a news conference Monday. “That’s the only question that matters right now.”

Schultz was the head of the Georgia Pride Alliance, which had helped organize Monday night’s vigil. The group advocates for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual individuals.

Infamous 86-year-old international jewel thief, Doris Payne, is free again 

Notorious international jewel thief, Doris Payne, who has stolen about $2 million in jewelry over the last six decades and reflected on her crimes in a documentary, is a free woman again.

>> Read more trending news

Payne, 86, was arrested at a Walmart in metro Atlanta in Chamblee in July after she allegedly took $86.22 in merchandise from the pharmacy, electronics and grocery departments, according to Chamblee police.

At the time, Payne was on 120 days of house arrest, which was part of her sentence in March for stealing a necklace from high-end retailer Von Maur at an Atlanta area mall in 2016. She was also sentenced to three years probation and banned from shopping in any mall in DeKalb County, Georgia.

But even though the Chamblee case is still pending, on Friday Payne walked out of jail when a DeKalb Superior Court judge revoked her probation, according to the DeKalb sheriff’s office and Payne’s attorney.

“There was not enough new evidence on the new arrest,” the attorney, Marissa Goldberg, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “She’s free.” 

Over the years, Payne has dressed in fine clothes with deep pockets, charmed sales workers at high-end department stores, distracted them and slipped out with expensive jewelry.

>> Related: Notorious 86-year-old jewel thief arrested twice in one week

She was the subject of a 2013 documentary, “The Life and Crimes of Doris Payne,” that detailed how her theft habits began when she was in her 20s. 

Staff writer Steve Burns contributed to this report.

Photo shows blood flowing into street behind funeral home

A Baton Rouge resident made a disturbing discovery Thursday afternoon -- a rivulet of blood leaking into the street behind a funeral home.

WBRZ in Baton Rouge reported that photos taken behind Greenoaks Funeral Home showed blood leaking from a valve in the ground and flowing onto the street. In the approximately 20 minutes that the leak lasted, a large stretch of the roadway was coated.

Click here to see a photo of the leakWarning: The photo is graphic in nature and may not be suitable for everyone. 

Adam Smith, an employee with the city’s Department of Environmental Services, confirmed that the fluid was blood mixed with formaldehyde. The mixture was leaking from a storage tank behind the funeral home.

>> Read more trending news

“We sent out both our sewer inspector and our environmental specialists to take a look,” Smith told the news station. “We determined that it wasn’t a sewer issue and that it was an issue on private property.”

Smith said the funeral home is under new management and did not have a permit. The city was working to get the permit issue resolved. 

Barbecue rattlesnake sounded good, but it landed man in hospital for 2 weeks 

An Arizona man learned the hard way that it’s not a good idea to play with rattlesnakes after spending two weeks in the hospital for snake bite injuries.

>> Read more trending news

It seems Victor Pratt, 48, decided he wanted barbecue rattlesnake during a family birthday party, according to Inside Edition

“I know to cook them and cut the heads off and stuff,” Pratt said. “They taste like chicken. It’s not bad,” he told Inside Edition.

But, Pratt’s plan backfired after he told FOX10 that he was “playing with it like little kids do.” 

His hand slipped and the reptile attacked. It bit Pratt twice, once in the neck, which doctors said was dangerous because his throat could swell shut, according to FOX10

Pratt was just fine in the end, but he did need 26 vials of anti-venom to recover. 

He told Fox10 he will not be playing with rattlesnakes anymore. 

>> Related: Snake bites man on tongue as victim tries to kiss the reptile 

Read more here

Hurricane Maria: Airlines cap fares for flights out of affected cities

Update 1:30 p.m. Sept. 19: American Airlines and United Airlines announced that they are capping some of their fares as Hurricane Maria churns over the Caribbean.

>> Read more trending news

American Airlines said it will cap until Sept. 24 one-way, nonstop fares from airports in Antigua, Haiti, the Turks and Caicos islands, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and St. Kitts and Nevis. Fares for travel in the airline’s main cabin will be capped at $99, while premium cabin fares will be capped at $199.

United Airlines officials said the company is adding additional seats for its flights leaving Puerto Rico. The airline capped its nonstop flights in economy class at $384.

>> Hurricane Jose and Hurricane Maria: Live updates

The announcements came in response to a letter sent to nearly a dozen airliners from Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Florida, requesting that the airlines cap fees for people fleeing from Maria.

“Individuals and families should not be forced to delay or cancel their evacuation efforts because of confusion over the cost of airfare,” Nelson said.

Original report: Delta Air Lines said it is capping main cabin one-way fares at $199 for flights out of San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Punta Cana, Santo Domingo and Santiago in the Dominican Republic as Hurricane Maria approaches.

Atlanta-based Delta is also adding two extra flights from San Juan to Atlanta for those who want to get out of the hurricane’s path.

>> More hurricane coverage from WFTVAction News Jax and the Palm Beach Post

Delta is waiving change fees for travelers with flights booked to, from or through San Juan, Punta Cana, Santo Domingo and Santiago from Sept. 19-26.

Southwest Airlines is canceling its flights scheduled to and from San Juan for Tuesday after 6 p.m. and Wednesday, and to and from Punta Cana on Wednesday.

The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Police revive pregnant woman who overdosed twice in one hour

A pregnant woman was revived twice from heroin overdoses within an hour on Monday, police said.

The woman, who was not identified, is approximately seven months pregnant, police said. Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority officers were patrolling the Allegheny Station in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia Monday afternoon when they first found the woman, WPVI reported. 

>> Read more trending news

A citizen alerted the officers to a pregnant woman who appeared to be unconscious and was possibly overdosing. The officers administered two doses of Narcan before the woman was revived, WPVI reported.

The woman refused further medical services and left the area, police said.

Approximately 40 minutes later, the officers found the woman lying on a sidewalk, unconscious. She was transported to a local hospital. The condition of the woman and the unborn child was not released.

Softball coach accused of molesting 10-year-old girls

A California softball coach is accused of molesting two 10-year-old girls between August 2014 and August 2017, and prosecutors are searching for additional victims, KTLA reported Monday.

>> Read more trending news 

Glen Thomas Kauffman, 53, was charged with two counts of lewd acts on a child younger than 14, according to the Orange County District Attorney's Office, whose officials said that Kauffman’s position as a coach put him in a “position of trust with access to minors.”

Prosecutors said Kauffman, who is on the board of directors for the University of California Irvine Alumni Association, molested one girl on multiple occasions and one other at least once.

“(UC Irvine) is reviewing this situation and will comment when appropriate,” UCI spokesman Tom Vasich said, according to NBC Los Angeles. “Mr. Kauffman’s board membership is currently on hiatus.”

If convicted as charged, Kauffman could serve a maximum sentence of life in state prison.

His arraignment is scheduled for Monday.

 

Fox News contributor accuses network host of rape in latest sexual misconduct allegations

Fox News has been rocked by another sexual misconduct allegation. Conservative political commentator and a once-frequent face on the Fox News Channel, Scottie Nell Hughes, has sued the network, alleging she was raped by Fox News personality and host of “Making Money” Charles Payne.

>> Read more trending news

Hughes filed a lawsuit against the network Monday, also contending she was blacklisted after making the allegations several years ago, according to The New York Times

Fox suspended Payne in July while the network investigated Hughes’ initial claims. He later returned after Fox News completed its internal investigation.

Hughes told the Times what happened and why she filed suit.

“In July of 2013, I was raped by Charles Payne,” she said. “In July of 2017, I was raped again by Fox News. Since then, I have been living an absolute hell.”

>> Related: Gretchen Carlson receiving $20 million to settle Ailes suit; Greta Van Susteren leaving Fox News

Hughes contends she participated in a coerced sexual relationship with Payne in exchange for an increase in paid television appearances. Later, she said, she was blacklisted from other jobs and was told it was because of an “affair” she had had “with someone at Fox.”

Hughes’ filed suit against 21st Century Fox, Fox News Channel and Charles Payne.

Payne denied the allegations again on Monday.

Fox issued a statement calling the lawsuit the “latest publicity stunt” by Hughes’ lawyer. The network also said the suit is “shameful” and has “absolutely no merit.” 

>> Related: Former Fox News host Gretchen Carlson sues Roger Ailes for sexual harassment

A number of former female Fox News employees have come forward over the past several years and accused network executives and anchors of sexual harassment. The network has settled out of court in several cases.

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >