Last Song Played
Country Legends
On Air
No Program
Last Song Played
Country Legends

entertainment

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Costume designers celebrate top work at 20th awards show

The president of the Costume Designers Guild says there's so much to the art form, it can't be contained in one award.

The organization launched its annual celebration of the best work in film and television two decades ago to highlight costumes' contribution to storytelling, said guild president Salvador Perez.

"When you see characters onscreen and they have such iconic looks, none of that was written," he says. "That was all come up with by costume designers."

While the Oscars and Emmys also recognize costume design (Perez was nominated in 2015 for his work on "The Mindy Project"), the guild's awards are broken into categories that highlight the intricacies of contemporary, period and sci-fi or fantasy designs.

Only three of the five contenders for the Oscar in costume design are also nominated at the 20th Costume Designers Guild Awards. Actress Gina Rodriguez is set to host the ceremony Tuesday night at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California.

Besides the competitive awards, special honors will be presented to Kerry Washington and Guillermo del Toro. Longtime Steven Spielberg collaborator Joanna Johnston will receive the Career Achievement Award.

___

Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen is at www.twitter.comn/YouKnowSandy .

___

For full coverage of awards season, visit: https://apnews.com/tag/AwardsSeason .

Rhode Island marks 15 years since 100 killed in club fire

Rhode Island is marking the 15th anniversary of a nightclub fire that killed 100 people and injured more than 200 others.

The Feb. 20, 2003, fire at The Station nightclub in West Warwick started when pyrotechnics for the rock band Great White set fire to flammable foam installed as soundproofing.

The brothers who owned the club and Great White's tour manager were charged in the fire. All three reached plea deals, with the tour manager pleading guilty to 100 counts of manslaughter and the brothers pleading no contest. Lawsuits brought by survivors and victims' relatives were settled for $176 million.

The site of the fire is now a memorial park.

On Tuesday, some survivors and victims' relatives will gather there to discuss a new federal tax incentive for sprinkler installation.

Yiannopoulos dropping lawsuit against former publisher

Milo Yiannopoulos is dropping his lawsuit against his former publisher.

In papers filed Tuesday in New York State Supreme Court, Yiannopoulos and Simon & Schuster asked that the case be dismissed "without costs or fees to either party." The far-right author and agitator sued for $10 million last summer after the publisher canceled the release of his memoir "Dangerous." Simon & Schuster acted after video clips of Yiannopoulos surfaced in which he appeared to defend sexual relationships between men and underage boys. Yiannopoulos alleged breach of contract and said the publisher gave in to "false and misleading reports." Simon & Schuster had called the suit a publicity stunt.

Last fall, a judge allowed the case to proceed after Simon & Schuster had asked that it be dismissed. But in January, Yiannopoulous' legal counsel withdrew and the author announced he would represent himself.

Yiannopoulos eventually self-published "Dangerous," which came out last July 4.

Guess co-founder steps aside amid misconduct investigation

Guess Inc. says that co-founder Paul Marciano will give up his day-to-day responsibilities at the clothing company until a sexual misconduct investigation is completed.

Model and actress Kate Upton told Time magazine earlier this month that Marciano forcibly grabbed her breasts during a Guess photo shoot nearly eight years ago. She also says that he harassed her by showing up at hotels she was staying at and texting her inappropriate comments.

Marciano has denied the allegations.

Guess, based in Los Angeles, says that Marciano will not be paid while he steps aside. He is an executive chairman of the company's board, and is its chief creative officer.

Marciano, who co-founded the brand with his brother in 1981, also owns a 17 percent stake in Guess.

Picasso, Monet works up for auction in Rockefeller art trove

An art collection amassed by billionaire David Rockefeller could raise more than $500 million for charity when it is auctioned this spring.

Auctioneer Christie's is selling hundreds of artworks including major paintings by Claude Monet, Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso, from the collection of the oil-family scion and his wife Peggy .

Rockefeller, grandson of Standard Oil founder John D. Rockefeller, died in March at the age of 101. His family is selling the art collection to benefit cultural, educational, medical and environmental charities.

It includes Monet's water-lily painting "Nympheas en fleur," estimated to sell for $50 million to $70 million, and Picasso's "Fillette a la corbeille fleurie (Young Girl with a Flower Basket)," which has an estimate of $90 million to $120 million.

"You end up running out of superlatives," Jonathan Rendell, deputy chairman of Christie's Americas, said at a preview Tuesday. "Some of the things are jaw-dropping."

Rendell cites Picasso's "extraordinary" portrait of a young girl, which was painted in 1905 when the artist was in his early 20s, and first bought by writer Gertrude Stein.

Also up for sale is a small painting of an apple, given by Picasso as a gift to Stein, a friend and patron.

"That little apple is a lovely object because it takes you right into the history of art," Rendell said. "Picasso's gift to Gertrude Stein, who made his career — it doesn't get much better than that."

Matisse's reclining nude, "Odalisque couchee aux magnolias" is expected to sell for $50 million, breaking the sale record for the artist.

"I expect to see quite a lot of records broken," Rendell said. He added: "That was my most English understatement."

As well as major European Impressionist and modern paintings, the Rockefeller collection includes works by American artists such as Edward Hopper and Georgia O'Keefe. Also up for sale is a selection of furniture, jewelry, Chinese bronzes and porcelain — including a dessert service that accompanied Napoleon into exile on the island of Elba.

Highlights of the collection are on display in London from Wednesday to March 8. There will also be previews in Paris, Beijing, Los Angeles and Shanghai before a series of sales in New York from May 7 to 11.

Eugenides, Chernow voted into arts academy

Historian Ron Chernow, playwright Lynn Nottage and artist Jenny Holzer are among this year's inductees in the American Academy of Arts and Letters.

On Tuesday, the academy told The Associated Press that others voted into the organization include fiction writers George Saunders and Jeffrey Eugenides, playwright Terrence Rafferty, and musicians Ben Johnston and George Lewis.

The academy is an honor society founded in 1898. It has a core membership of 250 living writers, musicians and visual artists. Members in the past have included Mark Twain, James Baldwin and Leonard Bernstein.

Sylvester Stallone assures fans he is 'alive and well' after death hoax goes viral

Actor Sylvester Stallone is the victim of a death hoax.

A rumor claiming that the 71-year-old actor had passed away recently surfaced on social media — and he was not happy about it.

>> Read more trending news 

Stallone took to Twitter to express his annoyance.

“Please ignore the stupidity,” the “Rocky” star tweeted Monday. “Alive and well and happy and healthy … Still punching!”

>> See the tweet here

Stallone’s younger brother, Frank, also took to the social media platform to inform everyone of the death hoax. And he wasn’t happy either.

“Rumors that my brother is dead are false,” he wrote. “What kind of sick demented cruel mind thinks of things like this to post? People like this are mentally deranged and don’t deserve a place in society.”

>> See the tweet here

Read more here.

Court told actress swore at Geoffrey Rush to leave toilet

An actress who accused Oscar-winning actor Geoffrey Rush of inappropriately touching her on a Sydney stage later swore at him when he followed her into a toilet at a party after a performance, Australian court documents allege.

Rush is suing Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper in Federal Court for defamation over articles last year that he argued portray him as a pervert and sexual predator. The articles allege inappropriate behavior and touching during the Sydney Theatre Company production of "King Lear" in 2015.

Accusations in defense documents previously suppressed by the court were made public on Tuesday.

Eryn Jean Norvill played Cordelia alongside the 66-year-old Australian actor, who played the title role and her father.

The documents allege Rush touched Norvill in a way that made her feel uncomfortable on five separate occasions during the final week of the production, in a scene where he carried her as she simulated a lifeless body.

Rush's lawyer, Richard McHugh, told the court on Monday the accusations were vague.

But the newspaper will attempt to prove that Rush engaged in scandalously inappropriate behavior, and that his conduct was so serious that the theatre company would not work with him again.

The defense documents allege Norvill was visibly upset and told Rush to stop after the first instance of on-stage touching, which was not scripted, directed or necessary for the performance.

Rush is also accused of following the actress into the women's toilet at a restaurant during the cast's celebration after the final performance. Rush is accused of standing outside her toilet stall until she swore at him and told him to leave.

The newspaper denies Rush's claims that its articles made him out to be a pervert and a sexual predator, and its lawyers previously told the court they made no allegations of a sexual nature.

Justice Michael Wigney on Monday delayed to a later date Rush's request to have the newspaper's truth defense struck out.

Rush has performed in the Sydney Theatre Company for 35 years. He won the 1997 best actor Academy Award for "Shine" and has three other Oscar nominations. He is perhaps best known as Captain Barbossa in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films.

Actor Michael Keaton to give Kent State commencement address

Actor Michael Keaton is slated to give the commencement address at Ohio's Kent State University.

Keaton enrolled at Kent State in 1971, intending to major in journalism and speech. He left school to pursue acting, landing appearances on "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," ''Maude" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." His range of hit movies includes "Batman," ''Birdman" and "Spotlight."

Keaton spoke at Kent State in 1985 and said then that he would like to return someday.

Kent State President Beverly Warren says having Keaton speak at the May 12th ceremony is a "rare opportunity" for graduates to hear from "someone who has walked in their shoes and now has risen to the top of his field."

The school will pay Keaton $100,000, the same it paid actress Octavia Spencer last year.

'SNL' alum Quinn recovering from heart attack with humor

"Saturday Night Live" alum Colin Quinn is exercising his wit days after a heart attack interrupted his busy touring schedule.

The 58-year-old Quinn took to Twitter on Monday to let friends and foes alike know he's "starting a list of those who didn't 'check in' yet," five days after his Valentine's Day health emergency.

The deep-thinking comic thanks the doctors and nurses at his New York hospital, saying they "realized they had a precious jewel of comedy in their hands."

Quinn announced his heart attack last week, saying on Twitter his heart broke on Valentine's Day, "literally." He said he was doing well but if he dropped dead "you would see a funeral like Al Capone!"

He says the attack made him reflect, realizing "we aren't guaranteed tomorrow."

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >